Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Volunteering abroad

Having an interest in global health, I'm always keeping my eyes open for great opportunities around the world. I have had the opportunity to volunteer abroad once before, hindered from doing it again by the high costs of the programs. Also, I don't feel at point in my life where I want to commit to a long term program, the Peace Corps for example. I came across this program today that looks particularly interesting for short term volunteering. I cannot vouch for it because I haven't done anything with the organization, but it looks really good.

Unite For Sight is a bit more focused than some other volunteer programs, but if you're interested in volunteering abroad or in global health, then it may work. Volunteers support eye health clinic and outreach programs in Ghana and several parts of India. Room and food expenses range between $20/day and $40/day, depending where and when you go. Most programs run 10 days, so that equals $200-$400 for the trip. Not too shabby considering most programs run about $2000+ for a 2 week stay. Of course, you are responsible for the costs of getting yourself there, which will be the most expensive part of the trip. This is standard among volunteering abroad programs. There is no program fee, which is not standard and it is refreshing.

No comments: