Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel...a little worried

Did you know that the economy’s gone to shit? I know, why doesn’t anyone talk about it?

Okay, so I watched the first presidential debate on Friday (or at least half of it, that which I could hear over the packed bar full of NYU students). I thought that Obama brought his A-game and didn’t back down. Since I couldn’t hear everything that was said, there were times where I could only focus on body language. A few things I noticed:

-Obama looked directly at McCain several times and McCain would only look at Jim Lehrer.
-The reactions of both McCain and Obama were hilarious! Both had smirks come up several times throughout the debate. McCain especially, while writing down notes as Obama was speaking.
-Obama let out a big smile that, while I’ll explicitly state is not the reason I want to vote for him, did make me crush on him a little.

Of what I did hear, this was the best line in debate history: McCain’s reaction to Obama’s statement about Pakistan, “You don’t do that! You don’t say that out loud!”. Priceless.

BTW – Excellent piece(s) in the NYTimes today about the absence of healthcare in the election lately. Where did it go?

I’m gearing up for the VP debate this Thursday. Palin’s ineptitude has been shown in the past few weeks, so it will be interesting to see her performance at the debate. Of course, the McCain campaign has set “restrictions” to the debate, to make it more even for Palin. Really? You know, Hillary got so much BS for having to work even harder to be taken seriously as a woman and Palin waltzes in and has the election dumbed down for her? There’s the part of me that thinks there is no way that McCain/Palin are going to get elected, especially after her performance lately. But, last night I saw a clip of Bush and I was taken back to the 2000 election, when I thought there was no way in hell that he would ever get elected. Some American people, or the rigged voting system – however you see it, were silly enough to elect him – twice! – why would this be any different for Palin?

Speaking of Palin, an SNL sketch of Palin’s interview with Katie Couric was spot on! Thanks Tina Fey for making SNL funny again and the election slightly more amusing. Anyway, to see Tina Fey’s remarkable resemblance, I’ve posted both interviews here. Enjoy!




No comments: