Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A love letter

Dear Mr. Gates,

Can I call you Bill? B?

Please allow me to speak candidly. You have swept in and you have captured my heart, B. Somehow you flew under my radar and you touched me deeper than any other billionaire philanthropist has before. What your foundation has done, for Malaria, for drug access around the world, makes me weak in the knees. Now you’ve retired from your post at Microsoft to dedicate your time to your foundation and you write a piece for Time that I swear is just for me. Creative capitalism would never sound as good from anyone else’s lips, B. But somehow, you pull me in. I get it, you’ve greatly benefited from capitalism and therefore want to nurture it and see it bloom. Or you at least believe that the system isn’t going to change anytime soon and therefore we should make the current system better. But, you’ve figured out how to make capitalism appealing even in times of financial hardship. How do hold such power over me?

Please, B, be gentle with my fragile heart.

With much affection and unwavering support,
The Road Less Traveled

P.S. Can I have a job?