Thursday, March 13, 2008

Standing on the shoulders of...


Every week I try to find a person who inspires me to be compassionate and seek justice. This is easier some weeks than others. I find when I do this, I feel less negative about the world. There are a lot of people who have made a positive impact on the world, whether large or small. When I stand on the shoulders of these people, I commit to continue their spirit of compassion.

This week I stand on the shoulders of
Sister Rugiatu Kanu, a midwife in Sierra Leone. Kanu faces adversity as she delivers babies in a country with one of the highest infant mortality rates. She often works in the absence of electricity, water and medical support. She sees death often, is underpaid and underappreciated, but she continues to be one of very few resources for poor pregnant women and their families.

No comments: