Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My ongoing battle with soda


Speaking of fighting against conglomerates feeding our bodies with toxic substances (as in my last few posts regarding Rx drugs), it has come to my attention recently that I am addicted to soda. I've always known this on some level, but thought it was more mild than it is. Is there such a thing as a mild addiction? Sadly, compared to many Americans, I drink less amounts of soda on a regular basis (I rarely drink more than one per day). However, I just cannot seem to give it up. I think part of this may stem from the lack of mental stimulation at my current job. All I do is sit around and think about not drinking soda (and write in my blog).
I've been thinking about it more and more lately. I need to rid myself of my dependence on soda. it's so bad for me in so many ways.
According to wedmd, I need to do the following to stop drinking soda. My comments italicized.
1. Make up my mind. Okay.
2. Switch to diet soda. Gross!
3. Go Caffeine-free. I've been trying to mindfully reduce my intake of caffeine lately and have discovered that it's pretty hard to find beverages that are caffeine-free (that are not juices, which when I'm looking for something to drink midday, are mostly sugar and too acidic for my bladder).
4. Stock up on alternatives. WedMD recommends milk, cow or soy, to which I say no thank you. I have been trying to drink more water though. I find it's lack of sugar to be unsatisfying at times though. I know that this will change with time (I have done this before), but I'm so impatient.

Okay, so on with step 1, I am making up my mind to stop drinking soda. And I do so while sipping on a bottle of coke. Step 1a for me, throw out rest of coke. You know what, I'm just going to make that step 2. I'm not going to bother with the diet sodas. Why would someone go and wreck perfectly good soda by taking away the sugar? Next step for me is to reduce my caffeine intake. This will be a bit of a challenge for me, but I will continue to do so. Enough about my soda drinking now, I'm going to get some water from the cooler.

On a completely different note, I found this interesting bit about dialects in the U.S.:

Throughout most of the Midwest, from western Pennsylvania, through the Great Plains, to Oregon, the preferred usage is 'pop'. According to a huge survey across America the term 'pop' is a bit more popular with Americans than 'soda' (but only barely).

Ha, New York! That'll teach you to tease me about my use of the term pop (and the way in which I pronounce sooooda)

He He, also this was a footnote to the article:

The Midwestern, or Midland, dialect refers to the speech in an absolutely vast swathe of land whose denizens would contend that they have no accent.


Uh oh, the BBC is onto us...

No comments: